Looking for ways to entertain the kids and escape the heat at the same time when you live in San Antonio? There are so many fun things to do on the Southside and throughout the city—as many of them are air conditioned—you can have fun and keep cool all summer.
- The Witte Museum is a San Antonio institution, appreciated for its range of exhibits ranging from hidden worlds to South Texas heritage to H-E-B’s Body Adventure.
- The DoSeum is San Antonio’s renowned children’s museum and a great place to beat the heat and engage the imagination. This hands-on spot invites kids to learn through fun, interactive exhibits.
- The San Antonio Fire Museum will get you out of the heat and give kids a chance to learn about the history of the department, check out trucks and gear, and maybe even meet firefighters.
- Too hot to ride the rides at Six Flags? Head to their water park, White Water Bay, and satisfy your sense of adventure while keeping cool.
- Snack on something cold and creamy. The San Antonio Express-News broke down the best options for sweet treats all over the city.
- University Bowl offers 32 lanes of fun, plus pool tables and laser tag. Specials throughout the summer let kids bowl for free.
- The Fort Sam Houston Splash Pad is the only public splash pad in San Antonio. There are also splash parks at the YMCA at O.P. Schnabel Park and Braundera Family YMCA.
- Between the springs fed by the Edwards Aquafier and the swimming pool, keeping cool is easy at San Pedro Springs Park.
- Drive a few miles out of town to Boerne City Lake and enjoy the lake, fishing pier, boat dock, and butterfly garden.
- While you’re in Boerne, head over to Cave Without A Name. The six major rooms feature Stalactites, Stalagmites, Soda Straws, Cave Drapery, Flowstones, and Rimstone Dams, and, even better, you get to see them in year-round 66-degree caves!
- Schlitterbahn New Braunfels is the top waterpark in the country, and for may waterpark aficionados, nothing else compares!
- While in New Braunfels, who can pass up an opportunity to tube on the Comal or Guadalupe River?
- Closer to home is Splashtown, a waterpark featuring more than 50 rides and attractions, cabanas, and dive-in movies.
For more information, visit Mission del Lago. This masterplanned community on the Southside offers new homes in San Antonio starting at just $160,000, with modern floorplans and desirable features. With a convenient location and abundant community amenities, it’s no wonder Mission del Lago is the fastest-selling community in its price range.
You can also click below to download the free Guide to Buying a New Home in San Antonio.